Coconut-Almond Cream Cake
Makes: 12 Servings:
Prep: 30 min
Bake: 47 min
Cool: 1 hr 10 min
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
½ cup sliced almonds
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. almond extract
Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
Garnishes: kumquats, currants, fresh mint springs
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake coconut in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 minutes. Place almonds in a single layer in another shallow pan; bake, with coconut, 7 to 9 minutes or until almonds are fragrant and coconut is lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
2) Line 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper. Grease and flour paper.
3) Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a very large bowl.
4) Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating until blended. Beat 8 minutes or until very fluffy, scraping bottom and sides of bowl as needed. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition (about 30 seconds per egg). Stir in whipping cream and next 3 ingredients.
5) Gently fold butter mixture into flour mixture, in batches, just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
6) Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 32 minutes or until a wood pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
7) Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread half of chilled Coconut-Almonds Filling over cake layer. Top with 1 layer, pressing down gently. Repeat procedure with remaining half of Coconut-Almond Filling and remaining layer.
8) Gently spread Coconut-Cream Cheese frosting on top and sides of cake. Press toasted coconut onto sides of cake; sprinkle toasted almonds on top. Garnish, if desired.
Coconut-Almond Filling (make one day before making cake)
How to Make It
Stir together cornstarch, almond extract, and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl.
Bring whipping cream, brown sugar, and butter to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and immediately whisk in cornstarch mixture. Stir in coconut and sour cream. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting:
How to Make It
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium, and beat in cream of coconut and vanilla until smooth.